As a juror you serve a vital role in our Judicial System your service is a responsibility of citizenship. The fairness and integrity of our court system could not be maintained without your willingness to serve.
Jurors are randomly selected from a current list of licensed drivers in Meigs County. The CD listing is furnished to us by the Tennessee Department of Safety. Jurors are compensated at the rate of $10.00 per day and .50 per mile for each day of service. When a juror is absent from employment for Jury service the employee shall be entitled to such employee’s usual compensation, less the amount of compensation paid by the courts as Juror compensatition. (T.C.A. ( 22-4-108)
This does not apply if a juror is employed on a temporary basis, or the employer has less than 5 employees.
Basic qualifications (T.C.A. 21-1-101, 22-1-102)
- Must be 18 years of age
- US Citizen
- Resident of Meigs County
- No felony convictions
- No pending state case or be a party to a pending case
The Grand Jury consists of thirteen members and up to five alternates.
Grand Jury Duties:
- To consider all criminal cases submitted to it by the District Attorney
- To inquire into any report of a criminal offense brought to its attention
- To inquire into any abuse of office by a state or local officer
- To report the results of its actions to the courts.